I have spent the last few months trying to "fix my life". To put it differently, I tried to identify what was wrong and how I could improve my life in general. Although in good shape and healthy, I wanted to be more energetic. Likewise, I had a few bad habits that I wanted to get rid of. Let's go through them:
- Quit smoking: that was definitely the hardest. In total, I'd say it took me several months.
- Exercice at least 30mins per day: not always doable. At KAIST, I am fortunate enough to have a gym right next to my dorm.
- Eat healthy food in moderate quantities (not too much, not too little): not easily doable at KAIST. Ultimately, I'd like to become a vegetarian.
- Stop using electronic devices at least 1 hour before going to sleep: this is important in order to sleep well. Screens are known to prevent you from falling asleep.
- Every hour of sitting, stand up for a few minutes: more info.
- Read books (novels) in English: I am reading "Animal Farm" at the time being.
- Keep learning English on a regular basis: the book "The Elements of Style" is on my nightstand.
- Write in English: that's what I do with this blog.
- Owning as few things as possible. Ideally my whole life would fit in two suitcases.
- Anti-consumerism. It is a mindset I adopted a while ago.
- Check Twitter two times a day tops: that one is pretty hard, I am still struggling.
- Go to bed before 2am: same. At some point in the future, being a morning person?
Furthermore, I also started learning about topics that are not related to my skills whatsoever, such as politics, the environment, green energies, etc. I would recommend these videos as a good starting point:
- Before the Flood: Join Leonardo DiCaprio as he explores the topic of climate change, and discovers what must be done today to prevent catastrophic disruption of life on our planet..
- Réformons l'élection présidentielle (FR)
- Demain: Climate is changing. Instead of showing all the worst that can happen, this documentary focuses on the people suggesting solutions and their actions..
Moreover, I recently found that interesting article which suggests "A 23-Minute Morning Ritual That Will Transform Your Whole Day". I am still working on it... Essentially, it gives 5 things to do in the morning:
- Write down three acts of gratitude (2 minutes)
- Journal one positive experience you've had during the past 24 hours (2 minutes)
- Exercise (15 minutes)
- Meditation (2 minutes)
- Express kindness through a text or email (2 minutes)
Last but not least, here are my New Year's Resolutions for 2017:
- Read more
- Play another musical instrument
- Learn Dutch and Spanish
- Learn how to dance Rock and Roll or salsa or swing.