This is a reminder for myself. I thought it could be useful to other people too, that's why I put it online.
- Record in 1080p, at 60 FPS, unless you want to go fancy and do 4k.
- Download Kdenlive.
- Using VLC,
Codec information, check the framerate. All videos must have the same frame rate otherwise you might encounter issues.
- When creating a new project in Kdenlive, make sure to use the very same frame rate and frame size. This can be changed later in
Project Settingsbut it is not advised as it will shift clips randomly (I experienced it). There, also enable
Proxy clipsfor videos larger than 1000 pixels.
- In Kdenlive settings, under
Playback, make sure GPU acceleration is disabled, cause it's buggy.
- When rendering, set the speed encoder to the second level to the leftmost one and use 4 threads. Encoder speed and threads are two different settings not related.
Do not forget that Kdenlive does not use milliseconds but instead 1/60 of seconds. That should be helpful when resizing clips. Say you have a song at 100 beats per minutes and you want 4-beat clips. Do: 4*60/100 = 2.4. Then, do the math again for .4 to use a scale from 0 to 60 instead of 100: 0.4*60/100=0.24. Which gives you clips that last 2.24 seconds, Kdenlive-wise.
To find the BPM of a song, use any of the following links:
- Tap BPM - Online Beats Per Minute Calculator and Counter
- MP3 to BPM (Song Analyser)
- Find the BPM for any song | Type a song, get a BPM | Every tempo | songbpm
That's about it!