Ads. I hate ads. And TV broadcasts a shit ton of commercials.
Worse, TV channels speed up TV shows and movies. What for? Ads again. The French do it, and the Americans as well. As a result, movies are shortened and constantly interrupted by commercials.
- How cable networks speed up shows to squeeze in more ads
- Cable TV Shows Are Sped Up to Squeeze in More Ads
- Pourquoi les films ne durent pas le même temps à la télévision et au cinéma
- Un film à la télévision est plus court qu’en cinéma
Still unconvinced? Most companies operating radio and television are biased. By "most" I mean 99% of them. They are not objective at all, often influenced by political parties.
I could also add, without going too much into detail, that:
- We are constantly being told lies (commercials for cigarettes, Chernobyl radioactive clouds over Europe, etc.)
- Most shows are incredibly shitty and for dump people: Supernanny, stupid games for uneducated people
- News channels are to be avoided like the plague: only live and breaking news never verified, no sources, Man on the street interviews are useless, irelevant and misleading. Likewise, these channels focus way too much on terrorism, immigrants, financial crises, and so on.
- Dubbed movies. Seriously? Would you listen to foreign music translated in you native language? Sound is 80% of a movie. Not to mention that most dubs sound terrible.
- The same can be said about coverages: why dub a foreigner? Why not just add subtitles?
Now that you know the truth, help me boycott television. Even though a few shows are worth your time, you can watch them online after their broadcast for free. This article, written in French, sums up quite well my thoughts regarding television.